There are generally three types of papers, thought papers, research papers, and creative papers. There are generally aspects of all three present, but papers largely belong to one of many three categories. The main focus on REL 303 may be the thought paper; no research that is outside required. The main focus on REL 407 in the shorter papers is the thought paper; no outside scientific studies are required. The focus on REL 407 into the paper that is final be either a thought paper, which requires no outside research, or an investigation paper involving utilization of outside sources.
- a) Thought papers may make use of materials beyond the required reading but need not do this. Rather, the focus is on careful study, analysis, and elaboration of ideas presented within a context that is limited such as just one article or book with some support from assigned secondary readings. It is beneficial to give attention to 1 or 2 ideas, passages, or paragraphs and look at the ramifications thereof.
- b) Research papers cope with a careful study of objective evidence accessible essay writers to support and refute arguments. You’re not expected to head to outside material, however it is often helpful to obtain supporting evidence beyond what is based in the required texts to back your assertions up.
- c) Creative papers may include forms such as fictional narrative, personal narrative, poetry, and illustrations as a key part or all the product that is finished. It is critical to work closely because of the instructor if you want to do an even more project that is creative.
- d) you could write on a single associated with suggested topics, or perhaps you may formulate your very own topic; within the latter case you will need to write a paragraph-length topic out and submit it by email to your instructor for approval.
- e) Sometimes it might happen that a more narrative that is personal will soon be incorporated into the writing, the one that includes personal experiences, fictional narrative, or reflections about the writing process. Some of the suggested paper topics will elicit different styles or genres of writing. However, it can be more challenging to adopt styles that are alternative genres. If you’d like to pursue different avenues of writing but they are unsure on how to do that, samples are available for your perusal.
Peer review drafts are going to be necessary for some papers. Guidelines for peer review will be made available separately.
Although grading is an art that is imprecise you’ll be able to attain a considerable amount of consistency. As a whole, the key points are: Represent ideas fairly and accurately, raise critical questions and doubts, explore theses questions and doubts to produce a sophisticated account of the ideas and issues into consideration, and write clearly. I seek out listed here when reading papers:
- a) Writing. In the event that you write clearly and grammatically, you can expect to think clearly as well as in an organized fashion. If you think clearly, this is reflected in your writing.
- b) Accuracy. Perhaps you have represented the ideas that are relevant?
- c) Focus and balance that is coverage-a of two. From the one hand, maybe you have covered the main ideas relevant to your topic? On the other side, will you be focused enough? A feeling of the bigger picture should be present, but pursuing too many themes or ideas results in confusion.
- d) Sophistication and depth. Maybe you have taken into account various areas of a problem or idea? You can be accurate at a level that is general”The Buddha was a seeker of truth.”), or you can be accurate at a sophisticated level (“The Buddha was a seeker of truth who formulated his understanding in terms of the four noble truths.”). Have possible questions and objections been taken into account?
- e) Creativity. Are you currently open to insights that are unexpected a sense of adventure?
Although there are no cast in stone rules, in the event that you cover criteria a) through c), you should get a B. Provided you’ve got gone that far, you can include further dimensions to your paper. I have made on your paper or your grade, please come and see me if you have any questions about comments. It is important in my situation to understand of any doubts or problems.
By observing these guidelines, I hope that the learning experience shall become more pleasurable and rewarding for both you and me. These guidelines are designed to allow you to polish a skill, academic writing, as you progress that you are developing. Don’t get so hung up you feel your creative processes hindered about them that. If anything, they should provide just enough of a framework to state your analytical and creative skills. The accompanying essay emphasizes the creative part of paper writing.
I love writing. Whenever I am totally absorbed in writing, many ideas which may have never occurred in my opinion before can pop up during my mind, or once confused and fragmentary information and thought can be spontaneously organized and start to become clear. It is probably the most satisfactory moments for me.
Yet, I often struggle for long periods trying to organize ideas at the cruel paper that is white. This is especially valid whenever I am attempting to be systematic and logical, beginning with an overview. Since anything unclear or vague is eliminated in the process of making a plan, the paper happens to be organized, clear, and compact, but I rarely have a sense of satisfaction.
What is the difference between a paper which emerges spontaneously plus one that begins with an issue for logical consistency? I have been wondering how I can bridge the gap between these two kinds of writing plus the attitudes they represent. I’ve found some clues to those problems in three articles written by Donald Murray, Peter Elbow, and William Stafford.
What they emphasize in accordance is the procedure; writing is not the description of a total result; in fact, writing itself can cause the end result. What this means is before we begin that we should not worry too much about how the last draft will turn out, or how we can organize all of our ideas. In accordance with Murray, everything we requirement for writing is enough information and a clear purpose: logic or order can appear later along the way. Elbow even denies the need for coherence in the initial stages of producing writing. He suggests “freewriting,” which activates the writing process through getting rid of every concern about correction. Also, Stafford remarks that the most important things for his writing are receptivity and a willingness to quit standards that are high. For all of these writers, logic and organization, that has restricted me in certain ways, are secondary in the stage that is initial of. It is true that logical rigor is important, but we can concern yourself with that just as much as we like after everything has been on paper that we want to say.
The most important thing in writing is, since the three writers agree, the productivity of writing. Based on Murray, for instance, writing is the method of “making something which was not there before, finding significance where others find confusion and bringing order to chaos.”By writing you’ll find new things, which may be a thought that is new a new feeling, a fresh idea, and sometimes even a unique self that you would not have found without writing.
So that you can promote this type or type of productivity, Murray, Elbow, and Stafford agree with the necessity of opening our minds. Murray points out that writing gives us a way to capture, in the conscious level, unconscious feelings and ideas we had not noticed or had forgotten. Elbow says freewriting is a solution to make our consciousness empty in order for we are able to pick out something unconscious from deep inside our hearts. Stafford remarks that the energy letting him write is certainly not a conscious device but his “own weak, wandering, diffident impulses” along with his “confident reliance” upon these impulses.
Writing might be in comparison to a piece of cake blowing to the window that is small consciousness and unconsciousness. The window is normally closed because consciousness is simply too strong to let the window open, plus one ends up residing in only half of the house, this is certainly, the world that is entire of’s existence. But when writing occurs utilizing the mind open, a breeze opens the window and another can encounter other components of the self, or even another self and fully become more integrated: the sweetness of the writing process might even be the act of another self.